Powering the DropBot

My DropBot only comes on if the FTDI Cable is connected and the USB power jumper on the signal generator is connected.

Connecting and disconnecting the USB cable from the Arduino doesn’t seem to have any effect on the DrobBot.

I also have no USB light come on the control board, but I do have a PWR light.

I have connected all the other jumpers on the board exactly as shown in pictures, and I have confirmed all the firmware is correctly flashed.

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

When I check the serial monitor this is what I see:

···

On Wednesday, 29 March 2017 14:09:20 UTC+1, Henry Bissell wrote:

My DropBot only comes on if the FTDI Cable is connected and the USB power jumper on the signal generator is connected.

Connecting and disconnecting the USB cable from the Arduino doesn’t seem to have any effect on the DrobBot.

I have connected all the other jumpers on the board exactly as shown in pictures, and I have confirmed all the firmware is correctly flashed.

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

I also get error message: “Analog channels [0,1] appear to be damaged. You may need to replace the op-amp on the control board”, when I connect, and this is what shows up in the environment prompt when I start the arduino:

On the wiki it indicates this is due to IC4 being damaged due to the high voltage amp being on too early. I am yet to use the amplifier so I do not understand how this can be the case?

Harry

···

On Wednesday, 29 March 2017 14:47:45 UTC+1, Henry Bissell wrote:

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

Hi Harry,

What version of the control board do you have (check the silkscreen on the board)?

-Ryan

···

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Henry Bissell henryb...@gmail.com wrote:

I also get error message: “Analog channels [0,1] appear to be damaged. You may need to replace the op-amp on the control board”, when I connect, and this is what shows up in the environment prompt when I start the arduino:

On the wiki it indicates this is due to IC4 being damaged due to the high voltage amp being on too early. I am yet to use the amplifier so I do not understand how this can be the case?

Harry

On Wednesday, 29 March 2017 14:47:45 UTC+1, Henry Bissell wrote:

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “dropbot-dev” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dropbot-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

It says V2.1.1

···

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

Ok, that’s good. When I see that A0 and A1 are at 1.49V, it reminded me of this bug in v2.1 (but fixed in v2.1.1).

Can you probe the voltage on pin 7 of IC4?

-Ryan

···

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 8:59 AM, Henry Bissell henryb...@gmail.com wrote:

It says V2.1.1

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “dropbot-dev” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dropbot-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Pin 7 on IC4 reads as 878mV

···

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

Ok, that pin should be at 5V. What’s the voltage on pins 4, 5, 6 and 11.

-Ryan

···

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 9:44 AM, Henry Bissell henryb...@gmail.com wrote:

Pin 7 on IC4 reads as 878mV

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

The Voltages on 4, 5, and 6 are all around 860mV. The Voltage on pin 11 is 410mV.

···

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

Pin 4 on IC4 is the power pin. It should be at +5V. If it is not, you can’t expect anything connected to that op-amp to work.

···

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Henry Bissell henryb...@gmail.com wrote:

The Voltages on 4, 5, and 6 are all around 860mV. The Voltage on pin 11 is 410mV.

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

Can you think of a reason why the pin might not be getting +5V? I cant see any track breakages or other issues it might be! Thanks for your help through this, it is invaluable to my research.

···

On Monday, 24 July 2017 18:09:39 UTC+1, Ryan Fobel wrote:

Pin 4 on IC4 is the power pin. It should be at +5V. If it is not, you can’t expect anything connected to that op-amp to work.

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Henry Bissell henr...@gmail.com wrote:

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dropbot-dev...@googlegroups.com.

Is there +5V on the Arduinio pin (see the image below)? You can also check that there is a connection between the +5V Arduino pin and pin 4 on IC4.

···

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Henry Bissell henryb...@gmail.com wrote:

Can you think of a reason why the pin might not be getting +5V? I cant see any track breakages or other issues it might be! Thanks for your help through this, it is invaluable to my research.

On Monday, 24 July 2017 18:09:39 UTC+1, Ryan Fobel wrote:

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Henry Bissell henr...@gmail.com wrote:

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dropbot-dev...@googlegroups.com.

Hi Ryan, The 5V rail does not read 5V, but the 5V rail and pin 7 are connected. I am really stuck with this. I think that it has to do with the connection between the Arduino and the Control board. It seems that the arduino is not supplying the correct power too the Control board. What should each of the pins that connect to the control board read when they are connected.

Thanks

···

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

Can you probe the 5V pin on the Arduino Mega 2560 board (e.g., on the bottom) to check that it is at 5V?

Also you could unplug power from everything and verify that this pin is making a connection to the 5V pin on the DMF control board.

-Ryan

···

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Henry Bissell henryb...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Ryan, The 5V rail does not read 5V, but the 5V rail and pin 7 are connected. I am really stuck with this. I think that it has to do with the connection between the Arduino and the Control board. It seems that the arduino is not supplying the correct power too the Control board. What should each of the pins that connect to the control board read when they are connected.

Thanks

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

Hi Ryan,

The 5V pin on the Arduino is reaching 5V. When the control board is piggy backed through the control board shield on the the Arduino, the 5V pin does not read anything at all, or at least a very small voltage.

···

On Thursday, 27 July 2017 15:18:06 UTC+1, Ryan Fobel wrote:

Can you probe the 5V pin on the Arduino Mega 2560 board (e.g., on the bottom) to check that it is at 5V?

Inline image 1

Also you could unplug power from everything and verify that this pin is making a connection to the 5V pin on the DMF control board.

-Ryan

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Henry Bissell henr...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry

Sounds like you’ve found the problem then. Maybe there is something wrong with that connection header? That seems strange…

If it needs to be replaced, you can cut these headers off with side cutters and remove the solder and pins with a solder wick and/or solder sucker.

-Ryan

···

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Henry Bissell henryb...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Ryan,

The 5V pin on the Arduino is reaching 5V. When the control board is piggy backed through the control board shield on the the Arduino, the 5V pin does not read anything at all, or at least a very small voltage.

On Thursday, 27 July 2017 15:18:06 UTC+1, Ryan Fobel wrote:

-Ryan

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Henry Bissell henr...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks

What might be my issue?

Any ideas welcome.

Harry