Microdrop keeps crashing after dmf_control_board install

Hi,

I’m a visiting student researcher at the Jeffrey Lab, where I’ve resumed our research effort on the DropBot after a hiatus. During the break, the DropBot has been dismantled due to the limited space available in the lab: before running any experiment, I’d like to check that the hardware is fully functional (especially the switching boards). Unfortunately I’m encountering a bunch of software related problems.

Something seems to go wrong whenever I try to install or update the dmf_control_board plugin.

If I start with a freshly installed copy of the self-extracting portable version of Microdrop, I’m able to launch the program through Microdrop.bat. From there, I go to File\Manage Plugins\Download Plugins\dmf_control board, which returns a successful install message. Microdrop is then suppose to be restarted to complete the installation of the plugin: the problem is, Microdrop is never able to perform this step. Here are some screenshots of the situation:

After a while, the process appears to crash and both terminal windows shut down. An error message appear:

From this point on, no matter what option I pick, running Microdrop.bat keeps opening the two terminal windows for a brief moment (20 sec) before crashing. Now I’m stuck in this infernal loop. Any idea on how to fix my problem?

Thanks a lot,

Florent

Hello,

I am have this same problem. I attempted the workaround I have read previously in another thread, but it doesn’t seem to work for me. Can someone please help?

Best,

Faisal

···

On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 7:43:27 PM UTC-7, Florent-Valéry Coen wrote:

Hi,

I’m a visiting student researcher at the Jeffrey Lab, where I’ve resumed our research effort on the DropBot after a hiatus. During the break, the DropBot has been dismantled due to the limited space available in the lab: before running any experiment, I’d like to check that the hardware is fully functional (especially the switching boards). Unfortunately I’m encountering a bunch of software related problems.

Something seems to go wrong whenever I try to install or update the dmf_control_board plugin.

If I start with a freshly installed copy of the self-extracting portable version of Microdrop, I’m able to launch the program through Microdrop.bat. From there, I go to File\Manage Plugins\Download Plugins\dmf_control board, which returns a successful install message. Microdrop is then suppose to be restarted to complete the installation of the plugin: the problem is, Microdrop is never able to perform this step. Here are some screenshots of the situation:

After a while, the process appears to crash and both terminal windows shut down. An error message appear:

From this point on, no matter what option I pick, running Microdrop.bat keeps opening the two terminal windows for a brief moment (20 sec) before crashing. Now I’m stuck in this infernal loop. Any idea on how to fix my problem?

Thanks a lot,

Florent

I have just installed a new install of microdrop on a new clean Windows 7 pro 64 bit machine using the MicroDrop-1.0.post74-Windows-x86.exe installer. Trying to launch via the Microdrop desktop shortcut crashes so fast that I can not capture the error trace but it looks to be something like “IOError('no version file found in profile directory.”

I am not sure if this is at all related to the errors on launching others are seeing here or not.

Hey guys,

I apologize for these recent errors (we’ve struggled with them too). They have to do with updated Python dependencies that are breaking our installer. You have no idea how much time we’ve spent struggling with Python packaging (especially painful on windows and with gtk/gstreamer)!

We’ve recently switched to a new installation packaging system (based on the miniconda distribution). This should be a lot more robust going forward, but we haven’t quite had the time to work out all of the kinks (we’ve been totally swamped preparing for this conference we’re attending for the rest of the week). We will have some time to tidy up the remaining loose ends next week and plan to push out a more polished release ASAP. If you’re totally stuck now and are feeling brave/lucky, feel free to try it out:

https://github.com/wheeler-microfluidics/microdrop/releases/tag/v1.0.post74

Please post any problems that you experience to the list here and hopefully together we can sort them out.

Thanks for your patience,

-Ryan

···

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 1:07 AM, Michael Connolly mdcon...@lbl.gov wrote:

I have just installed a new install of microdrop on a new clean Windows 7 pro 64 bit machine using the MicroDrop-1.0.post74-Windows-x86.exe installer. Trying to launch via the Microdrop desktop shortcut crashes so fast that I can not capture the error trace but it looks to be something like “IOError('no version file found in profile directory.”

I am not sure if this is at all related to the errors on launching others are seeing here or not.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “dropbot-dev” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dropbot-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Any update on this issue with the latest build. I am trying to bring three new systems online and am completely stuck without a Microdrop build that will launch. We have tried installing with the latest executable found in the link below (v1.0.post74). It is very difficult to capture the exact error it is throwing on launch because the terminal window goes away faster than I can screen capture it. Is there a way to make this persistent so I can get accurate debug info?

–Michael

···

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 5:30:23 PM UTC-7, Ryan Fobel wrote:

Hey guys,

I apologize for these recent errors (we’ve struggled with them too). They have to do with updated Python dependencies that are breaking our installer. You have no idea how much time we’ve spent struggling with Python packaging (especially painful on windows and with gtk/gstreamer)!

We’ve recently switched to a new installation packaging system (based on the miniconda distribution). This should be a lot more robust going forward, but we haven’t quite had the time to work out all of the kinks (we’ve been totally swamped preparing for this conference we’re attending for the rest of the week). We will have some time to tidy up the remaining loose ends next week and plan to push out a more polished release ASAP. If you’re totally stuck now and are feeling brave/lucky, feel free to try it out:

Please post any problems that you experience to the list here and hopefully together we can sort them out.

-Ryan

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 1:07 AM, Michael Connolly mdco...@lbl.gov wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “dropbot-dev” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dropbot-dev...@googlegroups.com.

Hi Michael,

Each time a new plugin is installed, a line gets added to the Microdrop/plugins/post_install_queue.yml file, which triggers a post-install hook to run the next time MicroDrop is launched. This allows plugins to install new requirements (e.g., Python packages that they may depend on). If this post-install hook crashes, it can result in the error you are seeing.

As part of the latest installer, we have added a “MicroDrop Profile Manager”. This profile manager acts as a launcher for MicroDrop, allowing, for example, isolation of plugins, protocols, devices, etc. for different users. Our plan is to migrate all plugin installation/updating behaviour out of MicroDrop and into the “MicroDrop Profile Manager” which prevent the types of crashes you are seeing, but we haven’t completed the transition yet. However, you can try the following steps to get some feedback regarding which plugin is causing issues:

1. Launch “MicroDrop Profile Manager” from the MicroDrop Windows menu.
  2. Click on the “Import…” button in the bottom left corner of the profile manager window.
  3. Locate the Microdrop directory (should be under Documents\Microdrop) and click “Open”.
  4. Expand Details section of “Install plugin dependencies…” dialog.
  5. Copy contents of Details section and send here.
    Alternatively, you could try deleting the plugins directory under the main Microdrop folder, i.e., Micodrop/plugins (there may be some stuff left over in there from a previous installation and this ensures that we are starting from a clean slate). You should hopefully be able to start MicroDrop after this. Then try re-installing the plugins and see if it fixes the issue. If you’re still having problems after deleting the plugins directory, send me a private message and we’ll try connecting over google hangout or something to see if we can fix it.

Thanks,
Christian

···

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Michael Connolly mdcon...@lbl.gov wrote:

Any update on this issue with the latest build. I am trying to bring three new systems online and am completely stuck without a Microdrop build that will launch. We have tried installing with the latest executable found in the link below (v1.0.post74). It is very difficult to capture the exact error it is throwing on launch because the terminal window goes away faster than I can screen capture it. Is there a way to make this persistent so I can get accurate debug info?

–Michael

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 5:30:23 PM UTC-7, Ryan Fobel wrote:

Hey guys,

-Ryan

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 1:07 AM, Michael Connolly mdco...@lbl.gov wrote:

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dropbot-dev...@googlegroups.com.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dropbot-dev+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.