"let me just copy the files to the lab PC" - 2 hours later

Hi folks,

Two short questions: Why does Python need over 30.000 files?
If I update and configure a Portable Dropbot on my Admin-Account-Home-PC and I don’t want to copy/zip all these 35.000 files: Is it enough to copy only the files NOT in the python-2.7.x 30.000 files-folder?

Cheers,
Sebastian

If you install Microdrop (portable or windows installer) on both
computers and you just want to sync the devices, logs, plugins, etc.,
you should be able to just copy the "Microdrop" data folder.

We're working on a new installer/packaging for Microdrop 2.0 which
should hopefully make the package smaller.

-Ryan

···

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Sebastian vdE <sebasti...@kit.edu> wrote:

Hi folks,

If I update and configure a Portable Dropbot on my Admin-Account-Home-PC and
I don't want to copy/zip all these 35.000 files: Is it enough to copy only
the files NOT in the python-2.7.x 30.000 files-folder?

Cheers,
Sebastian

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"dropbot-dev" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to dropbot-dev...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Sebastian,

I feel your pain :slight_smile: I’ve encountered the same situation migrating portable Microdrop setups between computers.

I’ve got two reponses to this: short term and long term…

Short term

In my experience, if you’re copying to an external USB, etc., I find it much faster to add the modified portable Python directory to a zip or 7z file first. In other words:

1. Compress modified portable Python to a zip or 7z archive.
  2. Copy archive to USB, etc.
  3. Extract on target computer.
    The benefit of this (as opposed to copying all files directly to the USB) is that it copies a large contiguous block of data, rather than many thousands of small files. This results in much faster copying overall, since small reads/writes to/from a hard disk are much faster than to a USB drive.

Long term

We are working on a new Microdrop release that can easily be installed into any Python installation using pip install.... It will still be compatible with portable Python distributions, but will also be compatible with, for example, CPython, Anaconda, WinPython, etc.

We plan to still release a base installer that will just be a bootstrap Python distribtion that will install microdrop through pip.

Note that the new release contains far fewer files, and should take significantly less time to install/copy. We’ll send an announcement to this mailing list to annouce the release.

In addition to a repackaging, there are some other new features that we’ve been testing out internally that we’re pretty excited about sharing in the near future. Stay tuned… :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Christian

···

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:29 AM Sebastian vdE sebasti...@kit.edu wrote:

Hi folks,

If I update and configure a Portable Dropbot on my Admin-Account-Home-PC and I don’t want to copy/zip all these 35.000 files: Is it enough to copy only the files NOT in the python-2.7.x 30.000 files-folder?

Cheers,
Sebastian

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “dropbot-dev” group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dropbot-dev...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.