Electrode failure after chip incubation

Hi,

I am a student from Kiel University in Germany, we are using a DropBot v3 from Sci-Bots. In my experiments, I am regularly using heated incubation (37-70°C) of the Sci-Bots 90 pin standard devices. For this, I place the devices in a humidified chamber (containing a damp cloth or water) to prevent droplet evaporation.

However, when continuing experiments after incubation, I am observing surface alterations on the bottom substrate, as if the coating was blistering (picture attached). This happens the moment the electrode with the droplet (or an adjacent electrode) is actuated and seems to be irreversible, sometimes leading to failure of the affected electrodes. I performed some tests, and it seems like the blistering is caused by the high humidity in the chamber during incubation.

Referring to this older paper about DMF cell culture, the problems I am observing could be caused by moisture infiltration into the parylene c dielectricum. But I have it already after 1h at 37°C, not just after long-term incubation as in the linked work.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems after incubation, and is there a workaround? I am wondering if this only occurs with the chips I have at hand, or if this is a common problem.

Thanks,

Jan